Skip to main content

Swallowed string – How to avoid this dangerous risk for your cat

By December 13, 2018 October 1st, 2019 blog

Cats, being the curious creatures that they are, will often investigate anything new in their surroundings. Therefore, we need to be mindful of the decorations that our feline companions have access to. At the Guelph Cat Clinic, your veterinary hospital for cats, we tend to get an influx around the holidays of curious kitties who are brought in after ingesting unusual objects.

Strings and tinsel seem innocent at a glance, but if ingested, can become a very serious issue. When swallowed, strings become caught in the intestines, which begin to tangle within the bowels; resulting in situations similar to other common intestinal obstructions. The tangle will not let food pass, thus leading to the additional risk of cut off circulation to various parts of the intestine. This will quickly become very uncomfortable for the cat as it commonly causes vomiting. A situation like this typically requires surgery to correct it, thus this holiday season Guelph veterinary hospitals recommend cat-proofing your home.

Along with decorations, strings can come from places we would not often think about such as:

  • Twine from roasted meats
  • Balls of yarn from crafting projects
  • Ribbons
  • Thread from sewing machines
  • Dental floss

Dangerous signs that indicate your cat has swallowed something bad include:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting
  • Hiding
  • Lack of energy

If you suspect your feline friend has eaten something they maybe shouldn’t have, be it toys, ornaments, or other decorations; please contact your Guelph veterinary hospital as soon as you can. The quicker you can get your cat help, the greater the chance they have to be successfully treated.

Leave a Reply